Monday, March 18, 2013

Just over one more week until I can try to walk

I'm due to head back to the hospital next Weds, 27th March, to have scans and see if the boot can come off. If it does, I'll be able to weight-bear and learn to walk again!
I'm terrified of how it's going to feel when I take my first steps. It's only been 6 weeks, but my left calf has shrink to the size of a slim gazelle! There is very little muscle left, by the looks of it. Not to mention the scary ankle and foot scar.

I'm sure it will be OK, but it is a bit of a scary thing to contemplate right now. I'm pleased that I'll have the Easter long weekend to get used to being boot and crutch less before going back to work the following week.

D turns 8 today, so we're heading out for Pizza tonight. J will wheel me there in the chair of torture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Isn't it bizarre how quickly muscle atrophies?
It'll be interesting to see how long it takes you to build it back up, you'll be all foal like on day one!

ruth said...

It's incredible how fast it happens! My legs are very sturdy, so it's a shame they can't both be slender and foal-like, but I'd rather be able to walk any day!